Monday, January 26, 2004

A Helpful Tip
When you're noting a totally obscure reference, say, a work you consulted once in the Newberry Library during the course of dissertation research back in, say, 1995, make sure to copy down all of the page numbers for the relevant quotations . I have now finished proofing / revising How Tradition Works down to the last few misplaced commas, split infinitives and transposed Latin endings. But I am going to have to drive up to the Harvard Library in the snow to get one stupid page number that I should have written down almost a decade ago. Arghh! (though I've got a request in to a friend...)

That said, if any of my erudite readers has access to the Hanslik edition of the Rule of St Benedict (R. Hanslik, ed. Benedicti Regula. 2nd ed. Vienna: Holder-Pichler-Tempsky, 1977), you could be a big help to me. Some student has my library's copy out (almost certainly one of my students) and I just need to know which pages to cite for chapter 58.

Real posts on matters of greater interest soon, I promise.

No comments: